Background

Wednesday 18 November 2009

Today is offically a holiday - tell your friends!

IMG_1937


Last year, I worked my nuts off getting Christmas sorted. I try to think of original and thoughtful gifts; I make a lot of them. I handmade decorations and baked a lot in advance to freeze. Nothing came from packets - everything was homemade. I did all the shopping, wrote all the cards, had 10 people round for dinner on the big day, friends before and afterwards ad family staying for 4 days. I was really looking forward to it.


Then, guess what? 5 days before Christmas I got the flu. I honestly felt like dying, I don't think I have ever felt that ill. But I hauled myself up out of bed on Christmas Eve and, ever the martyr, made sure that Christmas went ahead as I had planned.


Whilst I was in the kitchen cooking dinner, I realised that everyone else was having fun and, having done the lion's share of the preparations, I was still working my nuts off, even though I wasn't well. And I felt a bit resentful.


This year I am making lots of changes. I am only going to do the things I want to do. And one of them is this: I am going to take lots of secret mini holidays in advance, to make up for all the extra effort. I think you should do the same. Email this page to all your girlfriends because I am, officially, giving you permission to have a mini holiday. It could be today, or any day, a whole day or just 10 minutes - but you must do something you enjoy, and you wouldn't ordinarily do. I am looking forward to hearing what you get up to!


I have already been to town and bought myself a few treats. I am now firmly planted on the sofa where I will stay until school time. I have:


New reading material


IMG_2040


Coffee and chocolate


IMG_2043


Fuzzy friends


IMG_2045

Hooky loveliness (I'm crocheting together mum's throw before startig the border. It's at the pre-blocked ugly duckling stage)


IMG_2047 
  


Christmas shopping to do


IMG_2042


(oh how I am tempted by the free apron)


and there is also a snooze to be enjoyed once I have finished chatting with you.


Given it's the middle of a difficult week at the end of a difficult year, it's raining horizontally and it's windy and cold, I have also decided to treat my boys. Although they will not know about my own treats, oh no.


When Charlie and Jonny come home from school, they will have a tea of boiled eggs, fresh from the chickens, with squirty cream topped hot chocolate, their favourite:


IMG_2038


Unbenown to them, the pain au chocolates they grieved over this morning when they thought they were Daddy's, are being saved for a special pudding for two special boys:


IMG_2039


Let's not forget a special Daddy, of course. I have not been easy to live with recently, and this is a little way that I can say 'thank you'. Once Jonny and Charlie are in the land of nod, Dom and I shall be enjoying a little treat that I picked up from our local market this morning:


IMG_2033


Moules mariniere, with freshly caught local mussels and crusty bread to mop up all the delicious, garlicky sauce. Not forgetting a nice bottle of plonk:


IMG_2034

 I have to dash now and begin my hectic schedule. Have fun with yours and, if you do nothing else today, treat yourself.


Lots of love and hugs


Claire xx



1 comment:

  1. Mini-holidays sound like a plan! You should definitely get the apron - I bought the CK holiday print oilskin apron and it's so pretty! Am going to wear it whilst eating my tea tonight :)

    ReplyDelete