Background

Friday 10 June 2011

Recent Adventures with Embroidery

Blimey, it's chilly here today. I've taken to wearing socks again but, to be honest, I'm quite tempted to light the fire this afternoon. My hands are like ice! I might warm them up with some crochet in a bit.


As the weekend approaches I wanted to share with you a couple of the Little Picasso cushions I've done recently of which I am proud.


You may remember that my Little Picasso cushions are embroidered copies of a child's drawing, with patchwork to match the colours used in the illustration. The actual process of making them is a closely guarded secret (if I told you I'd have to kill you, mwahahaha). I'm very proud of the way they turn out. And I LOVE working from children's drawings, it really is the most fun.


The hand embroidery is time consuming, but is my favourite part. It takes, on average 4 - 10 hours per cushion.


This one was from a little boy for his Frampy, who owns a Harley Davidson. Isn't it the coolest thing?


 


IMG_0521


I tried really hard to make sure that the fabrics I chose were appropriate biker fabrics - sometimes choosing cushion fabric for men can be a bit challenging. This was OK though because it contained red and orange. I'm LOVING red and orange at the moment - it's part of my year long orange fetish*


The back of Frampy's cushion was plain, with a zip:


 


IMG_0519


 


By contrast, here is a Little Picasso by a girl for her Aunty Janaya. Possibly picked because, again, it indulges my love of orange:


 


IMG_3642


Being more girly, this one has the patchwork frill, and is fastened at the back by a large orange button. I love it's four mismatched corner buttons too.


 


IMG_3648


You see, THIS is why I love working with children's drawings. Not only are they unique and effused with love, but who would have thought about putting orange with lilac and blue? But, blimey, I love it and I will certainly use that colour scheme again in the future.


I hope you have a great weekend! I'm in the very unusual position of not having any orders, so I think I shall spend my time making Roman blinds for my kitchen/diner. I've only had the fabric for, umm..., four years, so I really ought to get a wriggle on!


Lots of love! Speak soon!


Claire x


 


* the colour orange. Not Conservative politician orange fetish. Obviously.



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these cushions! The patchwork on the biker on reminds me of neckerchiefs (which I guess is the point..) and that girlie one is just fab. Great colour scheme and I'm sure Janaya's aunt will love it. Good luck with the blinds. I spend every week making lists of what I'll do at the weekend but somehow on Sunday night it's not quite done, so four years is pretty good going really. C.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello :-) These cushions are really lovely. What a fantastic way to display your children's illustrations.
    I came across your blog in the August issues of 'Handmade Living' and really enjoyed reading your article about your up-cycled blanket (I am so going to try and make one of these). I am also from Hull and completely agree with what you said about Hull being a great place to live, there are so many beautiful places nearby such as Spurn Point that you mentioned. I think more people should come to explore these neck of the woods :-)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete